Hammer Drill for the win
Mar. 21st, 2012 06:26 pmMy celebratory present to self for completing MBA unit 10/12 was to buy a hammer drill - actually the Queer Feminist Housing Collective bought it but I was the one who got to go drool over them in the store. I should have bought one of these about 20 years ago, it went through brick and mortar with ease.
The kit has that smell that my tech brain calls 'new' and my chemist brain calls 'probably carcinogenic long chain hydrocarbons.'

The plan was to fix up some shelves that didn't stay firmly attached on the first round because I couldn't drill deeply enough into the wall. I have a reasonable collection of wall plugs and screws so the big decision was picking out what colour to use.
It was quick, easy and I probably spent more time cleaning up brick dust after and re-hanging all our kitchen stuff than I did drilling and hanging the shelves. Yay!

The kit has that smell that my tech brain calls 'new' and my chemist brain calls 'probably carcinogenic long chain hydrocarbons.'

The plan was to fix up some shelves that didn't stay firmly attached on the first round because I couldn't drill deeply enough into the wall. I have a reasonable collection of wall plugs and screws so the big decision was picking out what colour to use.
It was quick, easy and I probably spent more time cleaning up brick dust after and re-hanging all our kitchen stuff than I did drilling and hanging the shelves. Yay!

no subject
Date: 2012-03-21 10:18 pm (UTC)How are the grips for your handsize?
The shelves look lovely!
no subject
Date: 2012-03-21 11:38 pm (UTC)The grip is good for my hand size and you can attach it on either side, which given I'm a lefty, is just wonderful. It's a bit heavier than my usual electric drill - I wouldn't want the cordless with the extra powerpack weight.
Thank you, we're loving the shelves for the always-in-use items :)
no subject
Date: 2012-03-22 12:58 am (UTC)Hammer drills are lovely; I bought one a few years ago when I made a laundry room in the basement, and I was able to use it to drill through my brick wall to make a hole for the dryer vent. I used a 10-inch masonry bit!
no subject
Date: 2012-03-22 01:28 am (UTC)Best toy - it's very satisfying using it isn't it! I had a moment of nerves when I needed to find the masonry bit but it turns out it was with all the wall plugs :)